Monday, July 4, 2011

The calm before the storm

It's been some time since my last post here.  Unfortunately I haven't had too much time to sit down and write over the last month.  There has been a lot going on, just not too many race results to report.  My biggest focus over the past couple months has been preparing for the second half of my season, which begins in just under a week at Lifetime Fitness, and continues through September with Nationals and Worlds.

So what have I been up to since St A's?  Here are the highlights...

1.) I'm famous!  For the first time that I'm aware of I was featured on another triathlete's blog!  Actually, it wasn't me, but my car.  And it had nothing to do with the car itself, but rather the 3.1 sticker on the back.  Thanks to Jack Dudley for getting those custom made!

My car is awesome


The funny thing is that this photo was taken while my car was parked at the Triple T in Ohio over Memorial Day weekend.  While I had originally signed up to do this race with my girlfriend as a team, I didn't actually end up going due to her breaking her hand.  However I had some friends from out of town that were originally going to hitch a ride with us, so I lent them my car for the weekend.  Definitely a good decision!

2.) The great June triathlon!  This race was so epic that it took two whole weeks to get from start to finish.  It began at the Lake Mills sprint triathlon early in the month.  After a good swim and great T1, I hopped on the bike in 5th overall, excited to race some of the best local athletes in a very competitive Wisconsin season opener.  However, it quickly became challenging the hold my pace.  It felt like I was riding through mud.  After pushing through it for a mile or so it kept getting worse so I stopped to check my tires... sure enough the rear one was flat.  After getting sagged back to T2 I watched the 3 pro's and multiple All Americans in attendance finish the bike and run. 

Two weeks later my triathlon resumed, when morning storms caused the cancellation of the swim at the Verona Triterium.  We started the race on the bike and despite the wet descents and corners and a dropped chain late in the race, I came off the bike over a minute faster than I did in 2010.  The run was less than stellar but I held on for 3rd overall.

3.) Madison Marathon pace team and Capitol View Triathlon! The MMPT was something new that I got to tackle this year.  Endurance House was sponsoring the race, and I was put in charge of organizing the pace team.  Even though I had never been a race pacer before it was a lot of fun.  I split the 3hr marathon w/Justin Pernitz.  I got us through the halfway point at 1:29:50 and then got back to the Capitol to watch Justin come in at 3:00:04.  Perfection.

A couple weeks later, the 4th annual Capitol View Triathlon went off without a hitch.  With as much as I race, it's fun to be on the other end of a triathlon once a year as the swim course coordinator.

4.) Coaching summer swimming!  Actually this is something that I'm not doing for the first time in 3 years.  Honestly, with as busy as I am I can't imagine trying to fit it in my schedule and don't know how I managed last summer with my full time job and training.  Hopefully I can get to a meet or two in July, though.  Don't want to miss out on all the fun...


Also, a quick note on bike safety:

Every year I hear of multiple bike accidents, some of them resulting in deaths.  Most are in training, as in the case of the 2010 Collegiate Cycling National champion Carla Swart.  Every so often it happens in a race, such as Wouter Weylandt in this year's Giro d'Italia.  Over the past 7 years I've done this sport I've seen multiple friends, a roommate and my girlfriend wind up in the hospital after going out for a ride.  Now that I work at Endurance House and have met or at least talked to the majority of triathletes in the Madison area, the likelihood of someone I know getting in a bike accident is much higher.

While some bike accidents involve only the rider, as in the case of Summer's broken hand (although that involved a squirrel too I guess) and my slide-out in my second year cycling, the majority of bike accidents involve vehicles.  Unfortunately those are usually the most serious.

In my seven years of riding, I have never once been hit by a car or gotten myself in a situation where I would be forced off the road.  I fully realize that some of this has to do with chance, and no matter how safe you are there is always a possibility that something could happen to you, but I do have a few rules I live by on the bike that keep me as safe as possible.  I want to share them with you so that hopefully you can avoid any unfortunate situations...

1.  Be serious and focus on the road and what you are doing.  You are out there for a reason and that reason is not to goof around.  Not saying don't have fun, but it only takes a lapse of focus for 1 second... make sure that even as you are enjoying yourself, you're staying aware of your surroundings and prioritizing safety over fun at all times.

2.  Assume every automobile driver is distracted and/or an idiot.  Of course this is not true, but it is not the majority of cars I worry about, it is the one or two distracted/stupid ones I will cross paths with over the course of any given ride.

3. Make eye contact with every driver stopped at an intersection that you think is waiting for you before continuing.  It can be a costly mistake if you assume they see you and you are wrong (also, they might see you but not realize how fast you are going.. most people equate bikes with going slow).

4. When passing a line of parked cars on the side of the road, give at least 3 feet.  I've heard bad stories of car doors opening...

5. Remember that it doesn't matter who is correct, vs a car you will always lose. 

6. Put safety ahead of your workout.  It won't kill you to stop and wait for a car to move out of the way during your intervals, and honestly it won't mess up your training either.  I've seen some cyclists make some pretty high risk maneuvers just to keep their wattage above lactic threshold for that extra minute.

7.  Please wear your helmet.  Most cyclists and triathletes do wear them while training but I see some of those same people commuting around town without them.  You're actually more likely to get into an accident commuting around town than on a training ride in the countryside. 

1 comment:

  1. Update of "Athlete of the week"

    Summer qualified to race in the Vegas 70.3 World Championships at Racine with a 5:01 in 100 degree weather. Never give up on your goals.

    ReplyDelete